Pama Presidente
Naturally, the first drink I turned to was El Presidente, the popular Cuban cocktail from the Prohibition era. (I wrote up a history of it for Lost Magazine that appears here.) it's made with rum, vermouth, curaçao, and a dash of pomegrante. I've been using pomegranate molasses for a while, since it has a robustness to the taste that I really enjoy. But with a bottle of Pama on my shelf, I started playing around.
And it works nicely. My tastes tend toward tart (although I don't go for the full Hemingway – he liked his daiquiries with lime juice and no sugar), and by not using sweet grenandine you get more pomegranate, less sugar toothache.
Give it a try. I made several versions, but here's the one I liked best:
2 oz. aged rumCombine in mixing glass with ice and stir until chilled. Strain into a cocktail glass.
1/2 oz. curaçao
3/4 oz. dry vermouth
1/2 oz. Pama liqueur
Labels: microdistilling, recipe
<< Home