Trader Vic's, again, in Arizona
While an article in the Scottsdale paper notes that architects reimagined the restaurant as "classy not campy" – leading one to believe that somebody's missing the point – I'm still eager to visit because the resort has such a great mid-century history. The hotel opened in 1956, blending southwest style with mid-century planes and rooflines.
Among the early guests: Bing Crosby, Marilyn Monroe, Ted Williams, Humphrey Bogart, and Ingrid Bergman. Hollywood's star couple of Natalie Wood and Robert Wagner married here in 1957. Trader Vic's opened in 1962, and had a run of nearly two decades. In the past couple of years, new owners have spruced up the place while adding and expanding, but have managed to respect the mid-century heritage.
The resort's website, link below, is worth a visit – the site's designer knows how to walk that fine line between classy and camp. As yet, no photos posted of the new Trader Vic's. But I'm looking forward to that first mai tai when I eventually get out there.
<< Home